(This review is of the iPad version of the app.)
Even if you're not a musician, you might know the name Moog from T-shirts at music festivals, or perhaps even at the Moogfest festival.
Moog (rhymes with "brogue") makes all sorts of jaw-droppingly-expensive analog synthesizers, digital synthesizers that act like analog ones, guitar pedals, an insanely advanced guitar, and now, an iPad synthesizer app, Animoog.
Today, and for the next month or so, Animoog costs $1. After that, its price will skyrocket to $30.
You can probably see where we're going with this: If you're remotely interested in playing a Moog synthesizer on your iPad, you should probably stop reading this article and just buy the thing already. Or, if you need to do more research, my former colleague Michael Calore has a full review on Wired.com.
Evolver.fm generally focuses on stuff for music fans, rather apps for making music, but we can't resist mentioning this, because, for now, anyone with iOS can afford a Moog.
App developers regularly play with price like this, dropping (or eliminating) the price to increase popularity and raising it to increase revenue. However, the $1-to-$30 increase is way bigger than usual, so it really pays (literally) to act now, if you're interested.
Animoog, powered by Moog’s new Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE), is the first professional polyphonic synthesizer designed exclusively for the iPad. ASE allows you to move dynamically through an X/Y space of unique timbres to create a constantly evolving and expressive soundscape.
Animoog captures the vast sonic vocabulary of Moog synthesizers and applies it to the modern touch surface paradigm, enabling you to quickly sculpt incredibly fluid and dynamic sounds that live, breathe, and evolve as you play them.
Visually captivating and sonically immersive, Animoog brings iPad based music production to the next level. Whether you are new to synthesis or a professional, Animoog’s unique user interface gives you the power to easily create a visually vibrant and sonically rich universe. It is the ultimate tool for total creative expression!
Animoog’s diverse library of timbres is derived from analog waveforms captured from classic Moog oscillators, both vintage and modern, and run through a boutique’s worth of high-end outboard and analog signal processors. These include modular synth panels, Moogerfooger pedals and more.
Animoog is the newest innovation in creative tools from Moog Music, the legendary electronic musical instrument company founded by Bob Moog in Asheville, NC.
We want as many people as possible to experience Animoog. We have decided to make Animoog available for thirty days at the introductory price of $.99. Regular price $29.99.
** NOTE: IF NO SOUND from iPad speaker but headphone is working, this is an iPad settings issue. Go to the Settings app, General tab, set "Use Side Switch to: Mute" then turn switch on side of iPad on (Mute) and off again (Unmute). Then set "Use Side Switch to: Lock Rotation" to prevent problem in future. **
• Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE) - An exciting new Moog technology that allows the user to move dynamically through an X/Y space of unique timbres to create an expressive and constantly evolving soundscape.
• Timbre page – Assemble unique sounds in the X/Y space from timbres of a wide variety of vintage and modern Moog synthesizers and pedals. Note: this is NOT simple sample playback.
• Polyphonic Modulation - Simply slide your fingers to control multiple modulation parameters in Animoog right from the keys.
• Polyphonic Pitch Shifting - Easily manipulate the exact pitch of each note in a chord by rotating or sliding your fingers.
• Delay Module - A classic analog style ping pong delay.
• Thick Module - From bit crushing to unison voice detuning and drive, this module adds depth, edge and character to Animoog’s already massive sound palette.
• Moog Filter - The classic four-pole Moog ladder filter with High Pass, Low Pass and Band Pass modes.
• Record Module - Record your performance and overdub new layers, or play along live. Transfer recordings between Animoog and any other apps which support the general pasteboard.
• Path Module - Direct ASE through Animoog’s X/Y space to create new expressive and shifting sounds that will blow your mind!
• Orbit Module - Control the rate of orbit in the X/Y space around the path you created for subtle to insane voice manipulation.
• Flexible Modulation Matrix - Amp, Filter and Mod Envelopes, LFO with infinitely variable wave shapes and sync, and four super flexible and assignable modulation slots.
• MIDI in/out - Use your Little Phatty or any other MIDI controller to control Animoog.
|The introductory price is (or was) only $0.99.|